Wednesday, January 25, 2006

This is why I am here.

Okay, to catch you up…
This past Saturday, Randy and I traveled out to San Miguel (Mololoa) to work with the preachers. It was incredible! I finally spent a Saturday completely in the community. The three preachers (Leo, Sebastian, and Mauricio) went around and spoke with members of the community. Randy and I “stood around looking pretty.” Actually, we did a little more. We had a blast meeting people and making connections. The kids enjoyed having us there—almost as much as we enjoyed them. I can't wait to go back. This is why I am here.





I am here to help with material needs...Just look at this picture closely. Do you see the house made of several types of materials? Do you see the tens of houses that hold hundreds of people in the background on the side of the mountain? God has blessed me financially, and I can "afford" to help this community.







I am here to give happiness...Aren't these girls precious? Wouldn't you love to see them smiling instead of sad? I strive to bring joy (even if it is through them laughing at my Gringa accent) every moment I see them.









I am here to play...Yes, I love to have fun with these kids. How boring would life be if we didn't find time to play? Here is Randy showing Miguel how to be a big kid.
















I am here to be a mentor...This is Marvin. Like many young boys and girls here, they are desperately seeking the attention and love of someone. Sometimes, they find the wrong people. Marvin's example in life is his older brother of 15 who has been into drugs and recently ran away to join a gang. Marvin misses his brother and has a lot of sadness and misplaced anger. All of us living here are constantly seeking to make a positive difference in his life before he turns towards the path his brother took.









I am here to share God's Word...In this picture, Leo is speaking with Oneda about spiritual matters. Although, I am unsure of these abilities, I realize that God is strengthening me and giving me the words to share (even in Spanish) when they are needed. Please pray that I will grow closer to God as well as develop my Spanish so that I can do His work more actively.





Now I ask, Why are you where you are?

2 comments:

Terry Reeves said...

This is probably the best blog you have written. By far. And it has pierced my heart by the way you worded your thoughts. There is no doubt that you are at the right place at the right time. Like all of us, we just need to open upour eyes and see it. We are all where we are for a reason.

Anonymous said...

God will always put us in the right place at the right time, it is a matter of whether or not we are aware of His intentions! Keep up the good work down there!