Sunday, February 05, 2006

Catching up

Do you know what the Superbowl is good for? Catching up. Don’t get me wrong…I am watching the commercials—that is what counts, right? So, here I am at the Kluge house where we are having a Superbowl party while eating Honduran food cooked by a true Honduran—Fabiola, Jen and Karen’s friend that works for the lawyer. So far, the homemade chips and dip is to die for! (5:45 pm) I’ll keep you updated. But let’s play catch-up.

If you read the blogs from Katie, Jen, Karen, and the Kluges, you will see the stories about Gustavo’s birthday party. I highly recommend you read them; they will uplift your spirit and bring a smile to your face. It may be late, but I have my two cents to add about January 24th’s activities.

The day was FABULOUS as a whole, but my favorite of the day is Jonathan. He is an amazing young boy who has been through a lot already. Several months ago, he fell out of a tree that hangs over an embankment to a stream full of large rocks. He had a lot of injuries that put him in the hospital for some time and in a body cast that made walking basically impossible. He had only finished the last of his recovery process (removing some pins) a week before the party.

I did not know he was going to be at the party and was thrilled to see him. Watching him hobbling around was incredible! He has such a strong spirit and was determined to make it through the pain. I went back and forth visiting but always stayed near Jonathan. I was honored most when this boy, who had not participated in the piñata because of the pain he was already having, asked me to go up into the playground. I gave him my full attention and went where he went. Other boys were pulling me in different directions, but I let Jonathan lead the way.

But there is more to the story to bring a smile. Maybe this is a “you just had to be there”, but I will share it, anyway…

One problem here in Honduras is the amount of trash and pollution. For the most part, the people just don’t know the kind of distress this puts on the land. They are uneducated in these matters and have learned since childhood to litter and think nothing. Some of us here are trying to show alternative methods and teach them the importance of properly disposing of the trash. “I said all of that to say this” (that’s for you, Gary).

On the way home, Katie and I piled in eight kids to take back to Mololoa. One of them was the precious Jonathan. I handed out gum and took the time to tell them (in Spanish, of course) to throw their trash in the floor of the car instead of the street. All of the sudden I heard, “Yo no hablo español.” HA! HA! Good ‘ole Jonathan…he makes me smile.







Okay, half time and I’ll write more later. And I smell some great food coming from the kitchen where Fabiola and Melissa have been working. If any of you cares, my favorite so far is the commercial with the “crime deterrent" Sprint phone. Did ANYONE like the Burger King commercial with the dancing sandwich toppings?

1 comment:

Terry Reeves said...

Go Steelers! Margaret and I were hopelessly outnumbered at the super bowl party we attended, but in the end we rejoiced! As I use to say when I coached, "a win is a win is a win."

Loved some of the commercials, didn't like some of the others. but at 1.4 million per 30 seconds, it made me realize how much money was spent to get you to buy their products. Does anyone out there know how many houses we could have built in Honduras with all of that money? I believe we could have built every poor person in Honduras a house and had money left over. It is different in America, isn't it? Where is our real values? What is really important to us here?

Help us God, to open our eyes!!!

TR