Saturday, November 26, 2005

The day after Thanksgiving

November 25, 2005
What a blessing to be able to do what I truly love! Yesterday, we built a house for a family in Nueva Oriental. This is the same community I visited not long after arriving in August. Many were present: Randy, Melissa, Alora, Katrina, Dominic, Tonya, Whitney, Niki, Grammy, Nana, Chris (all from the Kluge family), Joe, Rachel (his girlfriend from Nashville), Karen, and me.


First, we tore down the existing house that was made by nailing together pallets.


This is the grandmother that lived in the house; you can see all her belongings strewn outside the house.


























Then, we went through the process of a normal TORCH building style. For the first time ever, I felt overheated (didn’t help that I had Cinnabon for breakfast). This made me stop building and rest in the area where the kids were. That ended it for me…as soon as I felt better, they had my full attention. We had fun coloring, drawing, playing Tic Tac Toe, and taking pictures with my digital.
































Here is Karen with Sara(the girl I told the story about several months ago). She is a neighbor of the lady who received the house.



















Overall, it was a great day! Thanks to Central church of Christ who supplied the materials for the build!

Love you all! Jennifer

No comments: