Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

So, what does Thanksgiving mean to you? turkey, cranberry sauce, football, pumpkin pie, family, phone calls, stuffing, cards, deviled eggs, ham, relaxing, friends, corn, sweet tea, traveling?

All of those things normally play into the holiday back home--for me, at least. This year was somewhat different. Here in Honduras things were normal as could be. Because the school where I work is based on an American schedule, we have today and tomorrow off. Yet, when Karen and I ventured into town, the daily events were taking place for everyone else. We spent the day running errands and simply having fun. We had time to just walk around the mall and browse--it felt like a normal day back home.

When we got home from the mall, Karen and I (Jen stayed at home because she wasn't feeling well) went to the Kluge's house for dinner--a big dinner (very good with all the fixings you can imagine). Seven of the Kluge family flew in from the States to celebrate the holiday with Randy, Melissa, and the girls. So, we had a large number. But here is where the challenge comes in...yeah, you knew it was coming...
How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

You have heard my story and know I did nothing noteworthy. In fact, I wish I could say I took part in what uplifted my Spirit today. Many of the Kluges went early this morning to buy food and passed it out in a community not far from here (San Miguel). How amazing! They took advantage of the gifts God has given them by blessing others in His name. I can only hope we can do the same EVERY day. "As we have opportunity, let us do good to others."

When I woke up this morning, I was psyched about shopping and buying Cinnabon. Then, later I learned about how others were spending the day. The day is about being thankful, especially for the blessing of the ability to praise our Lord. So, here is my thankful list (in no order) that I contribute to the day.

The grace given by our Lord; more than enough food; a wise mentor; blankets in cold weather; sewer systems; sidewalks; car insurance; flushing toilet paper; faithful friends; electricity; paved roads; an honest brother; stick-shift vehicles; a loving family; the Lord's guidance; socks and tennis shoes; a supportive church family; Lingo phones; ovens; the Bible.

Remember that I LOVE YOU ALL! I miss you even though I am thankful for this opportunity God has given me and the flexibility that you all have allowed in letting me leave to follow his will.
Jennifer Michelle

2 comments:

Terry Reeves said...

As I celebrated the traditional Thanksgiving (turkey, dressing, and all of the fixings, with a dozen of our close friends, I thought about all of you in Honduras. As blessed as we are here I knew that down there it was just another day, nothing special to the Hondurans since they do not celebrate our Thanksgiving holiday. I was sort of sad to tell you the truth, but, after reading your blog, you lifted my spirits and made me realize it is not the holiday itself, but the attitude within, that really makes Thanksgiving what it is. I am thankful for you, your friendship, your heart, your smile. Your beautiful blue eyes and glowing personality. And your willful sacrifice to live in Honduras for a while to do God's work through you. May everyday be a Thanksgiving Day to you as you live the life of a missionary. I love you, girl!

Terry

Rachael said...

Just wanted to say thanks, so sorry again for the first day! I hope everything continues to go well. God is amazing! I have laready been crying all day b/c I miss it so much. You girls are amazing! Good luck