Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I Used To...

I used to complain when: the line at Wal-Mart was too long, the hot water heater broke, and those construction crews took three months to fix one tiny stretch of road.

Now, I know people who complain when: they don’t have money to buy groceries, they can’t bathe because the river has dried up, and the roads are full of holes and aren’t lined.



I used to be afraid of: my car breaking down, being late to work, and gaining weight.

Now, I know people who are afraid of : getting robbed on public transportation, not being able to find a job, and their infants dying from lack of nutrition.



I used to worry about: what I would wear to church, how many calories were in my meal, and what people thought of me.

Now, I know people who worry about: clothing their growing children, how many times they will be able to eat this week, and who they can find to love them.



Things are different here. Some parts of the life are just plain worse—I’ll give you that. Other parts are just different (not wrong) and just need to be adjusted to.

I am adjusting to some but find myself constantly thinking about those people who never needed to adjust. Why did God give me the opportunity to grow up in the U.S.? Why not them?

The only answer I have is this…
“ You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.” ~2 Corinthians 9:11

This verse talks about material blessings as well as talents to bring praise to God. I believe I have been blessed materially as well as mentally and spiritually. The Christian education I have received has been a rich gift that has prepared me for the spiritual battles I have had to fight.

In what ways are you rich? Materially? Physically? Spiritually? Mentally?

Use those treasures to praise God every opportunity that you have.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Funny how so much of this changes so much of your perspective. This was a great blog my friend. We are rich!!! Had an interesting conversation today with Carlos, Eduardo, and Saul where I just with tears in my eyes had to tell them how sorry I was that we have soooo much stuff. Really got my heart today, so this was great to read and think about. I appreciate you and all you do.

Love ya.